Day 10 - Part 2
The simplest thing to do seemed to be to go shopping. So that's what I did. I could spend hours just walking the aisles at Fry's - so that's also what I did. I saw tons of cool, cool stuff that I have no need for, but wish I did. Surveillance stuff, electronic components, computer parts, in-wall speakers, baskets of adapters, you name it.
I even saw something that made me smile my grommet-making smile.
Fry's had some kick-ass TVs the likes of which you've never seen. We have some serious TV viewing in our futures when 4K becomes common. There was no point but I took a picture of their best TV.
I had to face facts - I was now killing time, because I had a limited gambling budget. Normally this trip, I had planned ahead for this and when the between bankroll times came, I would do an itinerary. But I had no itineraries to do today. So I was winging it. And, as you will see, quite literally so.
For dinner, at least, I had a plan, but I needed a snack to fill the gap. The strip south of Mandalay Bay is full of options and I spied something that would work - a place fitting of my regal moniker (that means name, for the un-inflamed of you that don't speak Spanish).
Yes, I pulled into the parking lot of the Burger King restaurant. The menu, like all such places these days, was chock full of confusing jargony promotions and spins of food that nobody in their right mind would ever concoct. Flame-broiled chipotle-changa burger fiesta wrap with nine kinds of aeoli on a bread-free gluten cracker shaped like one of four pieces of sports equipment for a limited time only collect and eat them all? Sure, I'm up for that - whatever it is. Or do you want the Flame-broiled chipotle-changa burger fiesta wrap meal deal?
The had all kinds of meal deals but the one that intrigued me was the 5 for $4 deal. Were they saying that there were five items that you could choose from, each being $4?
Oh no they were not. They were saying you could have all five of these items for a total of $4, including a bacon cheeseburger. Not just a burger. Not just a cheeseburger. A cheeseburger including bacon! And what??? Chicken BurgNuggets too??? This is a cheapskates dream, and a nutritionists nightmare. This, and things like it, account for 39% of all that is wrong with this year's society. Pokeman Go is the other 61%.
Of course, I had to try it, to find out how bad a meal could be for $4. Just four lousy bucks!!! And no tipping!!!
|I salvaged this meal by holding the pickle - the only thing identifiable as a vegetable.|
With a stomach now less full, and that's really all I can say about it, I headed to my next
I think it did rather well, don't you?
As I took pictures, I noticed that the skies were getting very dramatic. This made for some pretty cool clouds and stuff. Okay, well, clouds.
The heat finally got to me, so I started up the Poon Stang ("A.M. Mourning" by Chicago) and drove back to the strip. As I rode north, the skies were incredible, and I managed to whip out the Cameron G16 at a couple of different stoplights, roll the window down, and try to grab some images. This is the best one.
I turned right onto Tropicana and parked the Poon Stang outside, a stones throw from the side entrance to the Club tower. Almost as easy as downtown! And free (for now). The skies were incredible, so I braced the camera up against a light standard and kept shooting.
Security. Wanted to know what the fuck I was doing. I explained.
"I'm taking pictures. I don't have a tripod big enough for this camera so I'm using a light pole."
Fortunately, he let me go.
The entrance to the Club Tower from the north side was sort of dodgy - it didn't seem like you were really supposed to go in that way - it was more of a fire exit. But one door wasn't closed properly, and in I went.
Straight up to the room - to fire off a few more shots.
That pretty much killed the day. Now I had the evening, which would be filled with the usual - meat and gambling.
Meat to come!